Yogurt Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt.
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest.
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin.
- Kosher salt, as needed.
- In a food processor, add fava beans, chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, garlic, onion, salt, and cumin and pulse until smooth. Adjust salt as needed. You could add a little Herbamare Seasoning if so desire.
- Using your hands, roll mixture into balls, about two tablespoons each, until it is used up (makes about 15 falafels).
- Fill a heavy bottomed pot with about 3 inches of grape seed oil. Heat the oil until its 375F (candy thermometer comes in handy here). Drop falafel, 2-3 at a time, into the oil and fry until it turns a nice brown color on the outside, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the falafel to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat until all falafel are cooked. You may also roll mixture into patties and cook until golden brown on both sides for making burgers and/or sandwiches.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, cilantro, parsley leaves, cumin, and salt. Stir until well mixed.
- Stuff pita pockets with falafel, cucumbers, onions, greens, and any other veggies you desire. Top with yogurt sauce or another sauce of your liking.